Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Days of Summer

It’s the week after Memorial Day and the sun -- and humidity -- are in full force. It’s also the time of year when those very clever folks ask, “Hot enough for ya?” I think not. This is my favorite time of the year.

To fully appreciate the Maryland summer, I bought a hammock when Michael and I were in Tijuana. Isn’t that why everyone goes there? That was back in December. And in March, I bought another one (don’t expect an explanation).

Spring arrived, and I was ready to lounge in one of the hammocks. But, nature conspired against me. Again. The trees were either too close together, too far apart, too small to risk swinging, or to covered in poison ivy. With thoughts of Goldilocks in my head, I realized there is no home problem that the local hardware store can’t fix.

We bought a hammock stand. So excited was I by the prospect of watching the world of our backyard in the comfort only braided rope can provide, I put it together as soon as we got home from the store.

Turns out, nature isn’t the only thing that conspired against me – the hardware store did too.

Did you know hammocks come in sizes? I do now. Seems both the hammocks I purchased with summer in mind were regular-sized; the stand I bought was for some super-sized hammock monstrosity the size of a parachute.

So after another trip to the hardware store – four feet (felt like 40 pounds) of shiny new chain and two industrial clips later, we were in business. Tuesday evening Michael and I sat comfortably in the regular-sized hammock with a glass of wine in one hand and a magazine in the other.

Bring on the summer… I have hammocks to spare.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I have to say that laying on that hammock, in that yard, looking at that water seems like the most wonderful thing ever. Do you really even need a house?

    Second, how does that hammock stand up on it's own when there is only one leg? I know I'm probably being stupid but please tell me anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is actually a bar (like an upside down T) running along the bottom on each side. It's pretty stable... so far anyway...

    ReplyDelete